Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help Future of the forum

Future of the forum

Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Competitions & Help. Forum feedback, suggestions and help.

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:33 am
Evil Derboy User avatar

Administrator
Administrator

Kudos: 236
Hi all,

Been having a look at the forum recently and thinking about it's future. To give you all a bit of background. I've bought and sold forums in the past and originally bought this one to spruce it up and potentially sell it on. At the time there was chat about the Mrs getting an RCZ which was another attraction to purchasing it at the time, but that's never going to happen with two young kids now in the mix.

The forum doesn't make any money (make no mistake - most online forums are commercial enterprises to some extent from sponsors advertising revenue and google ads). The niche is pretty narrow and so sponsorship opportunities have always been a bit limited. The prospect of selling the forum on is nil since the market is pretty dead. The time of forums changing hands for decent money is now long gone, so I no longer look at this as a commercial opportunity and in truth it hasnt been for years. So the decision is whether to invest in it as a fellow petrol-head who wants to be proud of something that we've all created or treat it like a failed investment and pull the plug. I'm opting for the former.

The forum costs money to run, but it's really not that much. Couple of hundred quid per year which I can live with so I'm in no hurry to get rid of it or shut it down. However, things need to change. Having looked closely at it recently I've noticed a few things:

• Spammers are a constant daily issue
  • The forum is horrific on mobile devices
  • Its getting a bit crumbly and we're having issues with blocked IPs and things not working as they should.
  • This place seems to be the only, dedicated online resource (for English speaking people) for the RCZ on the net

I've been a bit of an absentee landlord of late, mainly down to the amount of free time I have but it's getting to the stage that if I don't step up, this place is going to die a slow death and I'd like to be able to put my name to something that I can be proud of. So with that in mind I'm going to dedicate some time in the run up to and over the Xmas break to do the following:

• Migrate the forum away from the (opensource) phpBB platforum on which it's currently built and invest in Xenforo which is a paid for (but free for end-users) state of the art forum platform which has excellent mobile device capabilities and build-in anti-spam tools
  • Move the forum to a .com domain and invest in some SEO to raise the profile internationally in the the hope that other RCZ enthusiasts will join in and enhance the conversation and content over time.
  • Look at introducing a decent competition at least once a quarter with a good prize
  • Once the above is done and running for a bit I'll be looking for some more help on the moderation front and inviting suggestions for other improvements

The above will take a bit of time and be a staged process. It's likely that (as I work on the migration and refamiliarise myself with whats required and start working on the look of the new forum) you wont hear anything for a while, but I'll keep you all posted with updates as I have them.

I also realise that the Facebook based owners club is quite active. Although I'm quiet on here, I'm a fairly active member of a number of car forums and in my view there's enough room for both FB groups and online forums to co-exist and rather than be in competition with each other. With that in mind, I've no issue with closer integration of the forum and the FB Group, so if members of both want to share content and events across both platforms etc. I've no problem with that.

Will keep you all posted on progress.

Thanks,

Derek

UPDATE: Please note that the support{at}peugeotrczforum.co.uk email address has been down for months but has now been reinstated and is back in use.

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:59 pm
Plecodoras User avatar

Kudos: 864
Hi Derek,
Though you haven't posted this for response, I would like to give one.

I have been an active member for some time and enjoy the collective on this forum. It is a place a huge knowledge when it comes to the RCZ as it should be, since where better to gain knowledge but from those that actually drive the cars ( no disrespect there to you Derek or anyone else who frequents the forum but doesn't drive ).
So, it would be a great shame if the forum was to close. But I am with you that changes are needed, many are put of with the influx of the latest spam, which is not good for many members. I also use Tapatalk for the mobile side and for the posting of pictures, but this has also it's issues, but used to be one of the easiest for posting pictures.
There are many members, some one timers, others who post near daily. And as you have pointed out, this IS the only real source of information for English traders and would be a huge loss if this closed its doors for good.
Though due to another higher demanding hobby, I unfortunately cannot commit at this moment my services but wish you all the best for the future and of the forum too.
Cheers Mick [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
:lol: Laugh and the whole world laughs with you.... or is that at you? :eusa-think:

Former owner of Dolphin Blue GT200 fully loaded inc. Quads / Xenons.
Now on second white* R
currently sporting an Avery
Roaring Thunder Gloss flip colour wrap.

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:29 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 723
Hi Derek, great to hear your wanting to bring the forum up to date and look forward to the new look :clap: I for one would be willing to contribute a few quid to help achieve this if required just give me a shout. :beer:
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:07 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1262
Hi Derek,

I agree that this is a welcome development that you are proposing.

I am a fairly regular visitor to this site, and also a FB member, but not so often on there. Although my technical knowledge will not be as comprehensive as some, if you need extra Moderators, I would be happy to help out if needed.

Looking forward to seeing how the changes will turn out.

Pete
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red
Black Pack
Vision Pack
Nav Pack
Sport pack

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:10 pm
Evil Derboy User avatar

Administrator
Administrator

neilgsxr69 wrote:
Hi Derek, great to hear your wanting to bring the forum up to date and look forward to the new look :clap: I for one would be willing to contribute a few quid to help achieve this if required just give me a shout. :beer:

Appreciate that Neil but I would never ask for nor accept money from members of the site. Thanks for the offer though.

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:34 pm
Guppy Senior Member

Kudos: 111
Hi Derek,

I've not been an active member on here now for around a year due to a badly behaved Z, however i do hear your plight.

I'm currently in the process of designing and building my own website with a forum attached, and having looked at many types of forum softwear etc, i've decided to go with phpBB and use a 3.2 Theme (Milk v2). Is this something you have already looked into / considered?

Not only is it very customisable, it's also very pleasing on the eye and Mobile friendly with nice large tread sections. Now I'm no expert, but being on the same phpBB flatform, would this not be easier to migrate over too?

There's an option for 14 different AD placements, siderbar options, and it's already set up to automatically add an advert after each new Topic if you so wish.

https://themeforest.net/item/milk-multi ... e/16119149

Jon
Red Carbon 200

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:04 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 601
Whatever it is please, please, let it have the option of uploading pics of any size and just let the software auto resize them!

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 pm
Evil Derboy User avatar

Administrator
Administrator

2retro wrote:
Whatever it is please, please, let it have the option of uploading pics of any size and just let the software auto resize them!

The reason many don’t do this is because server hosts charge on bandwidth. If you snap a pic with your iPhone and upload it to the forum then the server is hosting the full-sized image and then just reducing the size of the image displayed, but it’s still storing the huge file that you uploaded. For example your average iPhone pic these days is around 10mb. That’s the equivalent of two MP3 songs.

This is why sites like Tinypic are disappearing and Photobucket is now charging for hosting. I’ll take a look to see what’s possible but there’s no guarantees I can implement this as it may be cost prohibitive.

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:25 pm
Evil Derboy User avatar

Administrator
Administrator

Guppy wrote:
Hi Derek,

I've not been an active member on here now for around a year due to a badly behaved Z, however i do hear your plight.

I'm currently in the process of designing and building my own website with a forum attached, and having looked at many types of forum softwear etc, i've decided to go with phpBB and use a 3.2 Theme (Milk v2). Is this something you have already looked into / considered?

Not only is it very customisable, it's also very pleasing on the eye and Mobile friendly with nice large tread sections. Now I'm no expert, but being on the same phpBB flatform, would this not be easier to migrate over too?

There's an option for 14 different AD placements, siderbar options, and it's already set up to automatically add an advert after each new Topic if you so wish.

Jon

This site is currently built on phpBB and this is what I’ve build most sites on in the past but I think it’s time for a change. Xenforo is better but that’s why it isn’t free!

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:30 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 723
Guppy wrote:
Hi Derek,

Hi Jon, hows it going? Nice to see you back contributing :clap: how’s the RCZ doing? have you got it sorted out yet?
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:59 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1262
2retro wrote:

I’m not sure what happened with tapatalk. I did use it, but then something happened with the forum and for some reason, I can’t find the forum on tapatalk, even doing a search. But I see that some members still use tapatalk. Strange?

If it was possible to have software that automatically reduced the size of any uploaded photo, that would make it much easier for members to post images.
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red
Black Pack
Vision Pack
Nav Pack
Sport pack

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:55 pm
emjay82 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
I've come from another forum/marque and had nothing but problems with this forum, to the point I'm ready to give up with it. It needs to be updated/upgraded otherwise I can't see it gaining members, which would be a shame!

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm
wilsofar Member

Kudos: 20
That's a bit harsh!?

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm
Guppy Senior Member

Kudos: 111
neilgsxr69 wrote:
Hi Jon, hows it going? Nice to see you back contributing :clap: how’s the RCZ doing? have you got it sorted out yet?

Hi Neil,

I'm afraid I was just passing by. Unfortunately I'm having to take the to dealer to court over the car, should be done and dusted within the next 5 months... just waiting on a date. One thing i am sure of is the Z will be going one way or another... just problem after problem!

I promise I will catch up with you and the rest of the crazies sometime next year, as no doubt our paths will cross at the many shows I intent to visit, just not sure what car i'll be displaying :lol:

Jon
Red Carbon 200

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:20 pm
emjay82 Regular
Regular

Kudos: 2
wilsofar wrote:
That's a bit harsh!?

I guess I'm a little frustrated I haven't been able to contribute with the forum as much as I'd hoped. As per the thread on here, many other users have been blocked from the site and I've emailed 3/4 times to find out why this has happened, no reply, in the meantime I've had patchy access to the forum.

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am
beaks User avatar

Kudos: 67
emjay82 wrote:
wilsofar wrote:
That's a bit harsh!?

I guess I'm a little frustrated I haven't been able to contribute with the forum as much as I'd hoped. As per the thread on here, many other users have been blocked from the site and I've emailed 3/4 times to find out why this has happened, no reply, in the meantime I've had patchy access to the forum.

I had an issue - created a new account and reported it... 90 minutes later things were all sorted.

I'm sure your message wasn't intended to be harsh but our admin team aren't employed to look after this forum and most of the time are fighting 'Boris the sneaky Russian' from selling drugs etc from bogus accounts.

I must say that this forum is a fantastic resource. For sure Facebook seems more popular but trying to find your way through all the posts and threads about dump valves and splitters is pretty boring and isn't all that worthwhile.

If the admin team need any help I'd be happy to step in, even if it's just blocking Boris and his sneaky mates.

Cheers,

Ian B
"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to earth"

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:19 pm
Evil Derboy User avatar

Administrator
Administrator

UPDATE: Please note that the support{at}peugeotrczforum.co.uk email address has been down for months but has now been reinstated and is back in use.

Discovered a number of fairly irate emails from people who thought that there were banned. Trust now has all been resolved. If not then get in touch.

Return to Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help