Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ General +80.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

+80.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

General Community Discussion - Anything RCZ

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 857
Btw, if I could pursuade my OH, that one would be mine :helpme:

Unfortunately, it appears our next car will not be an RCZ, unless I swap the wife before I swap cars of course :eusa-whistle:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1400
My OH finds the ride harsh in the passenger seat but I don't notice it driving it. Mine is a daily driver. I drive on some bad roads and it doesn't bother me. I've done 20k miles in mine now and love every minute.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 82
DKZ5745 wrote:
Hey Mistral, did you see this one ? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... EOT&page=1

Cant help with your other questions, I also have the GT200, but I have heard that the ride quality is better in an R. I still have never been in one. :eusa-think:

Yes, I want a red one though...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

RCZ1 wrote:
My OH finds the ride harsh in the passenger seat but I don't notice it driving it. Mine is a daily driver. I drive on some bad roads and it doesn't bother me. I've done 20k miles in mine now and love every minute.

Thanks, I'll definitely have to try one, as I said some reviews said ride was better in the R so I just need to try it on a bad road or two...

Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

RCZ-R User avatar

Kudos: 151
mistral_blue wrote:
I'm still thinking of upgrading to RCZ-R - I need to go and drive one really but my only concern is the ride quality. Some reviews I've read have said it is fine (indeed, although slightly firmer it is better than the 200GT), others have said it is harsh on poor roads (several on the way to work and this is my daily driver). How have you found the ride on anything other than smooth autobahn? :eusa-think: Would appreciate comments from any other R owners too...

I think if you're coming from the stock RCZ200 suspension setup then you're going to like the RCZ R.
Yes, the suspension is on the sporty side but I wouldn't call it harsh. Drive the new Civic Type R. Now that is harsh. The RCZ R let you feel the road but doesnt kick you in the back on each and every bump. I'm not 20 something anymore and I also drive comfy cars. For me the RCZ R has just the right mixture of direct feedback from the suspension coated in a bit of damping.
But finally you got to drive one and try it for yourself. :greetings-wavingblue:

BTW: been to UK with the RCZ R twice. It worked well on the UK B roads.

Car has got 65.000 miles now on the ODO
RCZ R in red. driven daily. and driven hard.
Dyno results here: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10118

Sweet, thanks. Apart from your plug/coil? issue it looks to have been reliable. That's another thing that attracts me about the R, all the uprated components...

pete.garratt Senior Member

Kudos: 142
I've owned both a GT200 (3 years from new) & an R (2 1/2 years from new).

I, too, was worried about the upgraded R suspension, because I found the GT a bit harsh on local roads.

However, I would say the R rides better. Yes, you will feel the road surface more on low profile tyres, but both cars had/have 19" wheels and same size tyres (the R has 9 1/2" rim width, the GT 9" width), so the comparison is not totally unfair.

One thing I would say is that tyre choice plays a part as well. I tend to run Michelin Pilot Sport. I think they're a bit softer and more supple than the factory fit Continentals, but I did that on my GT as well.

So, my experience says the R rides better than the GT, even over questionable road surfaces.
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

Thanks for the interesting addition. I'm a fan of Michelins (currently all round on my 200GT also!) so they'd be going on eventually anyway! It's not it being firm that is the problem, but harsh/skittery would be wearing. From the sound of the experiences above it would suggest that the R's ride is firm but fine.. :thumbup: I'll be keeping an eye out on Autotrader anyway!

Post Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:22 am
RCZ-R User avatar

pete.garratt wrote:
One thing I would say is that tyre choice plays a part as well. I tend to run Michelin Pilot Sport. I think they're a bit softer and more supple than the factory fit Continentals, but I did that on my GT as well...

On the spot!
The R needs to have a proper tyre to roll comfortable. The Michelin PSS is a good choice. But the GoodYear Assy 2 (as it came from factory) is even a better choice. The comfort with the GY is a bit better than with the Michelin. The Michelin also tends to imbalance over a period of running. So you need to rebalance the wheels. It also seems to me, the RCZ R is a bit too light for the PSS side wall's construction. Like if the PSS was created for cars over 1400kg weight. You need to bring serious heat into the PSS to make it work well on the RCZ R. It is still a great choice, but not perfect.
Conti are in general the wrong choice for RCZ, no matter what model. They are too hard in their construction. Also the tread develops a hard surface over time which doesnt fit to the RCZ. The result? Often vibration when driving fast. The tyre feels like rolling on wood.

I'd say stick with the GY or go for the Michelin PSS. Pirelli is also a good choice but then they have a huge rolling resistance. If you don't mind it...

Post Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:57 am
ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 44
I m decided to put the new pirelli p zero
it seems to be the best choice as it is improved in wet surface and in rolling resistance and also its getting warm faster than the previous models
i agree that conti are a big disappoitment
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

RCZ-R User avatar

ONLY AEK wrote:
I m decided to put the new pirelli p zero
it seems to be the best choice as it is improved in wet surface and in rolling resistance and also its getting warm faster than the previous models
i agree that conti are a big disappoitment

My tyre dealer also tries to lure me into those. I need up to 2 full sets of summer and 2 sets of winter tires a year so it allows me to try other brands now and then.
But I'm reluctant after having had bad experience with those P Zeros about 3 years ago. Wear off and wet performance were very bad and the rolling resistance felt like having glue on the tyre patch.

Therefore please let us know as soon as you have them on your RCZ :greetings-wavingblue:

ONLY AEK User avatar

Kudos: 44
From now on p zero are the new tyres of mine

Let you know for my impressions
thp 156 with 268hp!!!!!!!!

DRTDVL Senior Member

Kudos: 43
I'd be interested in your review. I've just gone from the Bridgestone re002s on my daily (Volvo V50) to the pilot sport 3's and hate them, the side wall is soo soft. I was going to replace the wife's tyres (she has the rcz) with the RE003's when she finally wears them out.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 857
mistral_blue wrote:
DKZ5745 wrote:
Hey Mistral, did you see this one ? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... EOT&page=1

Cant help with your other questions, I also have the GT200, but I have heard that the ride quality is better in an R. I still have never been in one. :eusa-think:

Yes, I want a red one though...

Here you go Mistral.... http://www.hendycarstore.co.uk/used-car ... v98803472/

Enjoy :beer:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Yeah I was watching that one, went before I got back to the UK or I'd have taken a look... will just keep an eye on Autotrader I guess, they seem to come up every month...

Post Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 323
RCZ-R wrote:
another mark on the ODO. this is close to 45.000 miles now.

car runs still very strong, no technical issues at all. I only need to update the navigation maps. they are still from 2013 :greetings-wavingblue:

What mileage is on the R now?
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:26 pm
RCZ-R User avatar

Almost 70.000 miles.

During winter time I do not drive that many miles a month but till end of the year +70k will be on the ODO.
Car is running fine, exhaust is getting louder and louder (I realized yesterday while in underground parking, people were turning their heads), it loves to be trashed on the autobahns at 140-155mph but as I'm on winter tyres now I do not push it beyond 155 (167 is the absolute top speed).
Interior is still like new, the R seats comfy and solid like new.

RCZ-R User avatar

UPDATE:

While at the 75.000 service they had to change one ignition coil. It was done. Engine produced misfire when pushed hard.
Other than that no issues. Oil changed, plugs changed. Car runs smoothly :greetings-wavingblue:

EDIT: the front brakes are all new again. New discs and pads. It is the fourth (or fifth?) full set on this car. Jeez, are they pricey :thumbdown:

Post Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 am
RCZ-R User avatar

UPDATE:

Apparently not only the coils were done but also the second fuel pump.
Those issues I had where the car struggled to accelerate beyond 130MPH started to show their ugly face also during cold starts. Engine run a bit rough and sometimes fired on 3 cylinders only throwing ECU errors. But those errors pointed to the coils only.
As we know, the coils have been replaced before. So I left the car at the shop and the Pug garage did a great job on data readout from the cold start phase. They found the issue: the fuel pressure was down by about 20bar. Way too much of a discrepancy for a direct injected engine.
So they replaced the fuel pump and the car is running now like new. Especially the warm up is much smoother now.

It seems to me that issue was there for a longer period because even after they swapped the coils I wasn't happy with the engine performance.

I think she is now ready for the big road trip coming in July (french Alps, cote d azure and the Pyrenees)

RCZ-R User avatar

MAJOR UPDATE (drum roll):

The turbo on my R is done.
Yes, at about 80.000 miles the turbo decided to not push at 100% any more. The usual R owner wouldn't even notice the issue as it only occurs at +140 MPH. Everything below that speed works just fine. The car accelerates properly but not with the violent power as before. But the difference is very, very small. You'd have to be a very sensitive driver to notice such small difference. No error codes, nothing.
So, if your're not going beyond 140, you'd never notice this issue.

But in my case the story is different. My R sees the 155 MPH almost daily. So I noticed it pretty early. And the ECU too.

I'm in the process of discussion with Peugeot what portion of the costs they will take and which falls into my responsibility.
I always insisted on shorter oil change intervals rather than the standard 12k but at the end I don't think it is to oil wear only. I assume this part arrived at the end of its planned lifespan.
Another disclosure: That is my first turbocharged car ever that need the turbo to be replaced during my ownership. The last one did +150k on one turbo and still going strong. The same driving profile.

I'm a bit disappointed but not entirely surprised. The heat to which this part is exposed and the limited dissipation of it always concerned me. To prevent such a failure I always did a cool run before stopping the engine. I went even that far that often my girl was pissed on me doing a cool down slow driving at the motorway before stopping for the pee :lol: (come on, speed up, I cannot hold it anymore!) I was and I'm really stringent on that. And I think it helped a lot in this matter. With my driving profile and less care compared to what I did to the car, the failure may have happened way earlier. Just my personal assumption not backed up by any data.

I'll keep you posted on the case.

PS: I still love her. I mean the car. And the girl, of course :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Peugeot RCZ General