Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Technical Discussion Drivetrain Does RCZ have the some as 206?

Does RCZ have the some as 206?

Engine, gearbox, exhaust and other drivetrain issues

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm
LarsH Newbie

Kudos: 0
Does the RCZ (200 hp) suffer from the same problem with the engine that Peugeot 206 1,6 VTI suffers from? Something with water in the oil if I rember correctly. It is the engine that Peugeot has together with BMW.

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 pm
RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 47
From what I know, cokeing up and timing chain/tensioner issues.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
2011 RCZ GT 200. Shark grey :)

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 pm
LarsH Newbie

RCZIain wrote:
From what I know, cokeing up and timing chain/tensioner issues.

I'm thinking of bying a RCZ from 2012, but does this mean that I should not ?
Or is there any way of preventing this ?

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 am
RCZIain Senior Member

Kudos: 47
Mine is a 2011 and is in perfect health.
Tensioner/chain issue is easy to diagnose, the car sounds like a clattery diesel from cold. This could well have been sorted by the previous owner.
The coking up issue, is from what I understand an issue with all direct injection engines not just with the RCZ.
They don't like sitting idling for long periods.

This would cause poor idling and general loss of performance.

2011 RCZ GT 200. Shark grey :)

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:29 am
SilverGTi_6 User avatar

Kudos: 38
I have been wondering about the tensioner on my 2011 (60km on the clock now). It rattles a little at idle when cold, but is fine about 1 min later. Rekon it's worth investigating or wait till the rattle becomes loud? The car is performing perfectly otherwise.

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:33 pm
LarsH Newbie

Thank you for all answers, I will let the garage take look at this before I bye the car or nor.

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 pm
neilgsxr69 User avatar

Kudos: 174
SilverGTi_6 wrote:
I have been wondering about the tensioner on my 2011 (60km on the clock now). It rattles a little at idle when cold, but is fine about 1 min later. Rekon it's worth investigating or wait till the rattle becomes loud? The car is performing perfectly otherwise.

The THP engine does rattle a little when first started up from cold but you will know for sure if the timing chain kit needs replacement it just sounds like a Diesel engine.

It's not really a big deal £500-£600 to sort many owners wouldn't bat an eye to spend that kind of money on four new tyres!
Launch edition Pearl White Carbon roof & Wing Mirror covers / mat black Graphics

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 am
SilverGTi_6 User avatar

Kudos: 38
Thanks mate. Appreciate your advice.

Return to Drivetrain